Wednesday, February 03, 2010

There are show organisers who care

I love my quilts traveling but it is nerve wracking. I find it very hard to get my quilts properly insured while they are in transit. Several times I have wondered if I should stop entering US shows because of it. I found out last night that Phoenix Rising has made it into the Lancaster County show. I am thrilled, but my heart sank when I looked at their shipping instructions. Another uninsured round trip coming up. I emailed them to explain the problem I have with this and why the insurance sold by the courier companies wasn't worth paying for. Usually (if I even get an answer) it is of the lines, "you entered you have to abide by the guide or you can spend a lot of money doing it this way". Not this time. I got a very well thought out response. They explained how they look after the quilts, how they insure them while the quilts are at the show, and most importantly that they have found a way to insure them on their return journey! How cool is that? They had already found out that couriers will charge you for insurance that won't work and found a way around it. They are also looking in to the possibility of offering insurance for quilts being shipped to the show. I really can't express how impressed I am with the attitude and the speed with which they got in touch. I feel so much better sending my quilts out when I know they are going to such a professional, thoughtful and responsive organization. Well done AQS. Maybe if they find the solution to all the shipping problems other show organizers will follow their example. I can hope.

Do you remember I mentioned the new quilt pattern? Well I got the top back on Tuesday and I am thrilled with it. I am assured it was a lot of fun to put together and was quick to make as well. I am really looking forward to quilting it, but it will have to wait it's turn. I may also put on a border before I do that. I haven't decided yet. I suppose that is the bright side of it sitting in my quilting queue, I have time to decide. Once I have the pattern ready I will put it up here so you can see the quilt.

3 comments:

jan said...

Good for you and well done indeed to AQS, the Insurance companies rip us off again and again.
I know how you must feel when your work goes abroad, all that trust you have to have faith in.
Good luck in the show Ferret, this time surely they will see sense....

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting into Lancaster, and good luck!

Janet

Anne said...

I will have to make it a point to drive up to Lancaster this year!