Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Road 2 California





I've just realised I haven't posted anything about my quilt that went to the Road to California show.

I entered three quilts, Mother, Phoenix Rising and Bad Rain. Only Mother and Phoenix Rising were accepted, and they shipped to the show early December.

As you can see they made it OK. They didn't place in the show, the judges feel I need to work on my raw edge applique technique, but apparently they looked great hanging.

I was especially pleased that they had hung the phoenix so the front and the back can be seen. I am very please with the back of this quilt, although I hadn't intended it to be reversible, hence the hanging sleeve not matching the backing. At least it wasn't a calico sleeve. Just before the NEC I ran out of black fabric so a few quilts did get very odd sleeves. Looking at the pictures you can see that the wings are built up in sections and each feather is quilted individually. The ash (grey quilting at the bottom of the quilt) also shows up a lot better on the back than on the front.

Now I am just looking forward to them coming home. I do miss my quilts when they travel and the phoenix especially so. Thanks to everyone who has sent me pictures of these quilts on display. It is appreciated, it's sort of like getting a postcard from my quilts.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Since I first saw your work @ Road... last year I have loved it. Friends from Nebraska came with me this year & were amazed by the 2 pieces they saw. Great work!

SewCalGal said...

I enjoyed seeing your quilts at Road and on your blog too! Thanks for sharing.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Dawn N. said...

beautiful work!