Thursday, October 01, 2009

Socks

I've mentioned socks a few times and I finally remembered to photograph them. To the left is my first sock knitted on two circular needles instead of on 4 double ended ones. I love the techniqe. It's a lot quicker and I find it easier on my hands too. It's just waiting for it's toe graft, then it's done.

it's partner is being knitted with the first sock of another pair. Two socks at the same time on a pair of circular needles. I'm not sure how it compares speed wise with knitting one at a time, but it is very satisfying. It also encourages you to keep making more if you've already done one sock of the next pair. Of course you could knit matching socks together, but that means splitting a ball of wool and increases the chance of mixing them up and knittinmg with the wrong one. I think I will stick to doing odd socks.

2 comments:

Susan Briscoe said...

I'll have to try this. Do the circular needles need to be the ultra short kind or just the "normal" short kind? Yours look like the ordinary ones, without the bend. There's an ultra short 3mm Clover bamboo circular on its way from Web of Wool at the moment, with those angled tips, so a pair of those might be good.

FunkyC said...

I'd never thought of making odd pairs at the same time. It makes perfect sense, though. I switched from double points to 1 circular needle using the 'magic loop' method. My speed increased quite a bit.

Thanks for sharing the socks and thanks for the odd sock tip.