Monday, June 23, 2008

All quilts home safe

Well that was an experience. Fitting a quilt that size on the tube (which was abnormally busy) was more interesting than I needed. By the time I got home I was not in the mood for calm detailed quilting so I went to fetch my Sandown quilts from Sally who had kindly given them a bed for the night (yes literally). I hear it took a lot of people to collect, fold and carry my quilts so thank you all. If you see me at the Festival of Quilts do come up and say hi and tell me you were one of the helpers I would like to thank you in person, and I know I won't be able to put faces to the names.

My quilts seem to have enjoyed their stay with Sally. Most of them have never tried a bed and seem much better for the experience. I suspect I am somewhat in disgrace with Sinclair (Sally's cat, or her feline owner depending on your perspective) as I caused him to be shut out of a room. Cats hate being refused access to anything and knowing there were some perfectly decent quilts to be claimed must have made it even worse. still I fussed him a lot today so I might be forgiven.

Despite the lack of awards, I might have to admit that was probably my most successful quilt show. I met so many lovely people, and got to catch up with many more. I got to see a quilt from one of my workshops and hear about several others. I've already had bookings for talks and a couple of enquiries about the quilting system, so from that point of view alone I would have to consider it a success. One of my most memorable conversations, and probably most interesting was with a lady who doesn't like raw edge applique. I am really pleased she had the confidence to actually say so, as really I don't either. I do use it a lot as it is the only way I have found to get the look I want, but I still don't really like it. Sadly as soon as I turn under even a very small edge I find it adds very distracting edges and shadows. Personally I quite like hearing other peoples opinions. Some I will never understand, but it is still fascinating to know how my work is seen.

Finally, for now at least, thank you Kate for the nicest complement I've had. Now I had better get back to my quilting. I need as much practice time as I can get if I am going to try and out do Mandy next year. I wonder if I will need to wait for her to retire before I get this one though :)

1 comment:

Kate North said...

now you have me trying to remember what I said... I'm sure it was true, though :)