Monday, April 21, 2008

One from the vaults


While I was working through my email I came across one that needed a picture of Heat. No problem, it was in the show so there is one on my blog... or not. Somehow I missed her out of the tour, so in compensation I thought I would put up some of the pictures I took while I was working on her. Whenever I am working on a pictorial quilt I take a large number of pictures. It helps me see the quilt properly. I find I tend to loose focus otherwise. It is also fun to see things growing and encourages me to keep working. Bear in mind these images are from my mobile (cell) phone. It isn't supposed to be a high spec camera and it did have a hard time with some of the colours.

As you can see from the photographs, this piece is built up in large layers, each cut away more than the last. I am often asked it this is how I make my art quilts, well, sometimes. I chose it for this one because I had large areas of a very pale colour, and it I had laid those directly on the black background it would have shown through. The simplest solution I have found is to use the layers to gradually tone down the black.

I don't know if it will be obvious when I post, but this has been the longest in progress post I have ever made. I started it Monday, and the computer died on me. Fortunately Blogger's auto save did its' thing so I came back to it, Wednesday, Thursday and now Friday. Tuesday I was out all day so I just had to fret about the possibility thew auto save hadn't worked. So now I just want it posted so I can go on and tell you the new news.

No comments: