Sunday, February 10, 2008

Things to consider at the design stage.

I am sitting in a laundrette watching a washing machine, there are many more fun things I could be doing had I been more careful when I designed my quiilt. I have two quilts that I can't wash at home so they don't get used as much as I would like. The first was a very early quilt, before I had seen one other than my own so it has vey fat polyester wadding in it. I had assumed that as king size duvets fitted in my machine it would. I was nearly right, but closing the door on my (front loading) machine really is essential before washing so nearly won't do.

Still a mistake like that I can live with. We all have to learn sometime and while we are we can't expect everything to go smoothly. The other troublesome quilt is rather more embarassing, I should have known better. I have a very large bed and I was bought enough fabric to make a quilt to really cover it. I came up with a design and checked it would fit on my (at the time new) longarm. It did, just. I thought as I was going to be putting a lot of quilting patterns on it it would be nice if they showed up well, and as I needed a winter quilt I would use two cotton waddings in it. Now this is the point I could have saved myself a lot of trouble. I had the top, and the back and the waddings. If I had just checked they fitted in the machine I would have only used one wadding and had a much more useable quilt. I do love 'Ginko Typography' but I wish I didn't have to spend an hour watching it wash.

1 comment:

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Be grateful it doesn't fit, that amount of cotton batting when wet breaks machines...
I know this...
I have one quilt which broke two metal washing line props when wet.