Friday, June 22, 2007

Tired

The daft things I do in the name of quilting. Having had several people proof read my pattern we noticed an error after having them printed, so I needed to get a reprint. Well I can put in a correction, but I would like to have so correct ones too. So yesterday I went back to the print shop that did the first ones to get some more. This time they couldn't open the pdf file. They were adamant that it was either faulty or too big and I would have to change it. OK not ideal but not a complete disaster this was first thing in the morning and they were open late. We got back there half an hour before closing but the computer still didn't like my files. They couldn't do it. I decided I really wanted this resolved, and I know there are 24/7 printers in Soho, Google being my friend, it was pretty easy to find them. It turns out the cheapest is actually in Vauxhall, south east London, of course I live north west London. Ho hum, at least it is quite quick to drive across town around midnight. The printer did a great job and by 2am I had a new stack of folded patterns. Sorted. Just what everyone would do right? I do think it will be my chosen way to get my printing done it was a lot easier than doing it during the day.

Then an early morning to get the machine set up at the show. Fortunately I can live on five hours sleep, sometimes at least. I took one of my MQS quilts to cover the table, although I have put a cutting mat over it to protect it you can still see it around the table. Playing with the Sapphire has been a lot of fun. It really is a very nice machine for free motion work, even if the thing that most impressed a customer was that is could draw caravans! I think tomorrow I will take a larger selection of threads to play with, I missed having my whole range with me. Isn't it funny how spoilt we get by our stashes.

Oh yes, two of my quilts got awards. I got second place for longarm quilting with the 'Blue and Red Tulips', Mandy Parks won the first prize, but I haven't had a chance to look at all the quilts yet. 'Wait' also got a second place this time in the art quilt section. I will try and look at the quilts tomorrow and see what the winners look like. As I said I haven't really looked around yet but I am told there aren't as many traders as last year. Hopefully the ones that are there will be interesting enough to make up for it.

It was great to meet so many people in person that I 'know' online. It's so fun to have people I've never seen come up an talk about my work. Thank you all for taking the time to chat. To those I left abruptly I am sorry, I tend to take work related distractions quite seriously and drop the social thing. I was thinking about it on the way home and I will try and make the transition more elegant honest.

Hope to see lots more of you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

Congratulations for the awards on your quilts. Will there be photos of quilts in this show?

Ferret said...

yes, I will take pictures tomorrow I think. When I have friends coming along to see the quilts

Dormouse said...

It was very cool to get a chance to meet you in person. Also cool to see your quilts in person too. They were gorgeous, even better than they look on the computer.

Congrats on your rosettes, I never did track down the one that took first place, even though we went round twice!

I was in two minds about whether to attend the show as we had a ton of things that we 'should' have been doing instead. When I came out of the house on Friday morning someone had sprayed a stencil of Che Guevara on the post box outside. I took this as an omen and we came on up to the show instead. I'm really glad I did.