Sunday, June 03, 2007

Something Arty


I've felt a need to do something arty while I have been on hold to various people. I haven't been feeling like quilting so I tried knitting. It was OK but not really what I was looking for. Then people started talking about drawing on one of the lists I read. Hmmm, all you need to do to get better is practice. I haven't practiced in ages. So I thought I would have a go. I feel much better for doing it and I feel inspired to do something else. I'm not sure yet what the next thing will be, but I am sure you will all be among the first to know.

I don't think this is quite finished looking at the photograph. I think I might go back and darken the background a little more, which would also let me even up the shading. I still find shading and hatching very difficult, so I am really pleased with the hair on this one. I was surprised how much Bonnie's lesson on painting faces had helped. I could hear her tips as I was working, and they apply just as well to drawing as to painting.

4 comments:

Beverly said...

Your drawing looks good to me- your talent continually amazes me. Youth and talent, I've no doubt you will go far. I enjoyed watching you on Bonnie's vidcast.

As for the DHL trials, at least it looks like the quilts have been located?? It would be a real tragedy if either of them were lost to the world--

Lisa Walton said...

I am so sorry about your DHL traumas and hope that it eventually sorts itself out.
Your drawing, however, is wonderful and I look forward to seeing more.

angelinejovan said...

Hi Ferret - I just watched you on your Vidcast with Bonnie McCaffery - you were great and your quilts knocked me over!! I am so awed by what you have done - thank you for displaying your work here - but I had to search the net to find one of the ones you showed - but I did find it - just amazing! Do you have any sites or part of your blog that describes your techniques? I am very interested in how you accomplished them. Thank you for being such a wonderful inspiration - take care angeline

Ferret said...

Thanks guys, I am working on another drawing, this time a dog. Now I know this will sound silly, but I underestimated how hairy a dog is. See I said it sounded daft, but when you are trying to draw them you do get a better feel for just how many hairs a dog has.