Monday, May 21, 2007

What's on the frame?



For once I am sewing something I am allowed to show you all, so I will. It seems to have been forever since I was last able to do this. Those of you who have been reading a while will probably recognise this. It is 'Nude with a Rope', although I have come very close to renaming it 'Rope with Nude' given that seems to be what people see as more important. It has been up on my wall waiting for me to get back to it for some time now, and the wall is looking very bare without it. I think I may make a design/blocking board to cover the wall as I would only need to move one sofa to get access to most of the wall and I would be able to block pretty big quilts. We shall see.

Still back to this naked lady. I am quilting her with contour lines in about 6 shades of blue thread. I am mostly matching the thread to the fabric, but there are a couple of areas I felt needed fine tuning where I have used the thread to subtly shift the shade of the fabric. The background is getting very small Decandant Swirls in a slightly brighter thread than the background fabric. It is just lifting the fabric a little and hopefully taking the slightly drab edge off it. I haven't seen the back properly yet but I am hoping it will have a fairly clear image on it as I am matching the bobbin to the top thread.I'll let you know on that one.

I have realised that I need more bobbins urgently. My machine only really likes the aluminium ones and they seem to be quite hard to get. Hopefully APQS will give me a call back soon and be able to help. I just hope they don't send me another 50 steel ones, which is what has happened with each of my previous orders. I do use steel in the PQ1500 machines, but the Discovery really doesn't sew as well with them. I can use them if desperate but I would rather wind the thread off aluminum onto steel to free up an aluminium one to use. We shall see. I guess I should figure out what else I might want given there is a $5 handling charge for placing an order.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

This is going to be a stunning piece!

Dormouse said...

I really do love this one.

How annoying about the bobbins though. I hope you do get some aluminium ones.

Sarah said...

This piece is amazing!