Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Saturday - New Members Coffee Morning

Yes, Yes I know it is Tuesday, but bear with me and it will become clear why I have only just had a chance to update you all.

Saturday was the Region 7 new members coffee morning. The idea is this is a small event where new members can get to know the committee and ask awkward questions. It doesn't seem long since I was the new member and trying to work out what one does at a coffee morning and here I am being one of the committee which is supposed to know stuff. Still at least I knew where the hall was thanks to Bonnie so that was one less thing to worry about. I also knew it was an event not to take the Camaro to (it's down a very narrow road). So Off I set at way too early o'clock. I arrived rather early so I had a chance to look around Wheathampsted. It is a lovely village with what looks like a great butcher. It also has the watter take off for a mill with fat moving water and little falls. I will have to go back with a camera and take some pictures, I feel a quilt coming on.

Our esteemed leader had arrived when I made it back to my car, narrowly saving me from the trashy women's magazine I had bought to pass the time, and we set to work putting the hall in order. After first checking for undesirables, someone had left the hall open over night. All was well and quickly the quilters touch could be seen. Table clothes cakes and a kettle boiling. If you haven't been to a quilters meeting and you like cake, do consider it. Quilters can bake, although I no longer make coffee cakes as I prefer Wendy's. Oh well.

Time then slows down, and we wait, slowly other members of the committee (this is a yucky word to type, I think we should be renamed team or gang or something else short) arrive but only one new member. For me this is the most stressful part of the day, will anyone turn up? Will we be force fed amazing amounts of cake? Then suddenly we are buzzing, the chat is off and the new members are joining in. About now I realise why this is my favourite event. It is the most chatty and interactive as a group. Probably because it is fairly small and you can reasonably talk to everyone.

As is customary for this kind of event we had show and tell. As ever it was interesting and inspiring, the Kandinsky inspired quilt especially appealed to me. I loved the colours and I think Kandinsky was the first artist I saw in a proper gallery so I have something of soft spot for him. I was also pleased to see people who call themselves beginners than show multiple quilts. I love the idea that people are making more quilts per person. I think it give you a lot more scope to grow and play with ideas, which is even more important for those just starting to try a new craft.

At the end of the meeting a group of us headed over to Patchwork Corner. It was fun to drive in a convoy of quilters rather than racers (see yet more way quilting and drag racing are similar). It is a lovely drive too. For so close to London it is surprisingly rural, and on a warm bright spring day it was lovely. As always Patchwork Corner was friendly and welcoming to new people, and I think a fun time was had by all. I even managed to get the honour of showing off the now not so new workshop facilities. I love seeing peoples faces the first time they see the custom built teaching room.

Watch this space for more breasts, Doug has provided me some new tools for my 3 dimensional work, and I hope to find time to play sooner rather than later.

The evening was spent quilting frantically. I needed to get the wholecloth finished Saturday for it to be able to go to the MQS show. I didn't manage it. It is very close, but rather than miss Tet's first runs in the dragster I decided it won't be going to the show. I have five other quilts that will so I don't think I have done badly. This quilt will still be finished though and if nothing else be used as a longarm sample. I have a plan to remake it entirely for the NEC as I ca see many areas which I can do better now. It is funny how much I have learned from this one quilt. I do love it and I am seeing this as a great proof on concept. I will try and get some pictures up later today.

1 comment:

Dormouse said...

"Watch this space for more breasts"
If you insist!!! :D