Saturday, March 10, 2007

I don't like feathers

Well that isn't entirely true. I don't like traditional quilted feathers. I love peacock feathers, they flow and sing to me, I could quilt them all day. The traditional curvy ones are hard work and I don't think mine look as good as they should. I can just about follow premarked ones, but trying to just draw them is a nightmare. I think it is down to my issues with drawing hearts. I've mostly got over it for sashing and boarders but the mind game I play to do that won't work for the feathers. Of course none of this would matter if I didn't have a quilt on the frame demanding feathers. I tried to convince it it wanted peacock feathers but it really doesn't, guess what I will be doing tomorrow.

I have just taken my next batch of fabric off it's rust. I am really pleased with it. I know it isn't everyones thing but the delicate patterns are amazing and i don't think anything other than these very long dye times will get the same effect. I wonder if there are other natural dyes that will take very slowly. I think I will be playing with different dyes over the summer. I do especially like the fact that the rust dying can sit outside. It gives me a little more space in this raher full house.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

ok, I'll display my ignorance of quilting designs. What is the difference between a traditional feather and a peacock feather?