Saturday, March 17, 2007

Decadence





Ta da! Another nude, I bet no one is surprised. I am hoping this one will be seen as a bit more sensual and less sinister than the last one (which I will finish and post detail pictures of). The title of this one probably gives the game away as to what I am hoping people will see. Soft warm opulent, sensual. I don;t think any of my nudes are really intended to be sexy, it's not the point. People, and women in particular are so curvy and full of wonderful shapes, I just have to make them as quilts. I guess it is a common thing with artists, they look to nature for inspiration and this is what I found. Part of the attraction is the satisfaction I get from seeing the shape come together with just one colour and the challenge from trying to quilt it. Women are so smooth that putting quilting lines in that don't detract from their shapes is really tricky, but I love doing it.

The colour is most true in the first image. None of them are perfect, but that is the problem with taking pictures indoors late at night. Even with all the white balance settings I have i still can't get it quite right. Even though I took lots of pictures of this as I worked on it to try and get an idea of a distance view, I have just spotted something I don't like, but it is there now and I have to live with it. I guess that is always the way. Every time I finish I find something I don't like and will do differently next time. I suppose that is good as it means I am learning from each piece, but it is annoying too.

The quilting in the background is quite hard to photograph. It is in dark red thread on the black marbled background. I wanted to soften both the colour and the texture of the background and I am very happy with how that came out. The quilting pattern also felt good to do which fitted the piece perfectly.

I would like feed back on this. Is this one less disturbing? Does it have the feel of decadence I was looking for? Clicking on the pictures will bring up a larger version.

The quilt is about (not trimmed and bound yet) 45" x 35".

10 comments:

Beverly said...

I wasn't disturbed by your last nude, so I'm the wrong person to answer that question! She is gorgeous, and yes, I believe you have achieved the "decadence" you were striving for. I honestly can't come up with any other words than that, she leaves me speechless. I wish I could see the background better- and maybe one day I will get to see these in person. Congrats!

Andi Stern said...

I didn't see the last one, so I can't say about that, but she definitely feels lush and languid, so I'd say you succeeded.

Anonymous said...

Ferrett, I wasn't disturbed by the last one, either. It was an absolute work of art as is this piece. Stunning work, and fantastic craftsmanship.
Piece,
Rain in NC

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your work. I also find woman to be beautiful - I think that's the way they were designed to be.
Keep up the great work.
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful and I think you have achieved your aim. Of the two I prefer the first nude but I think that may be partly to do with the colours.

What's next? :)

Caroline

Delta said...

Once again, you've achieved "incredible" status with your nude. I wasn't sure it could get any better, either technically or artistically, after the one with the rope, but I was wrong. This one is absolutely beautiful.

Ramona-quilter said...

Ferret,
I love this one. The reds are so luxurient. The pose, to my thinking anyway, is not erotic but is sensual, like warming yourself in the sun on the beach. I don't think I see the red thread in the background as much as I feel the glow from it. It's like a very subtle wash of red.

Ferret said...

Oh wow, you guys reall get it. I am beyond chuffed, you can really see what I was trying to say and that means a lot to me. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment.

Dormouse said...

I love the lines of this one and yes, you've achieved a real feeling of sensuality. The red colouring makes me think she's relaxing in the sauna.

This is a really gorgeous piece though I have to confess that the nude with the rope is far and away my favourite so far.

Anonymous said...

Your nude work gets better and better


Bw

Lindy