Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Blue Moon



I am feeling very pleased with myself. I have missed two Fast Friday Fabric Challenges, and I was determined not to make it three. This time I had the time and the inspiration and off I went. The requirements for this one were monochromatic and based on a song title with a colour in it. OK so it is a bit cheesy, and probably predictable, but I wanted to do a moon. I've been planning realistic lunar quilts for a while, and I will be doing more. I really enjoyed this and I am really pleased with the result.

There are four shades of fabric in the Moon, they are the same as those used in my Nude with Rope. The background is a very dark blue, again from the Nude with Rope, it was the background there too. The quilting is done in three shades. I used the same thread on the lightest two fabrics. It seemed to brighten them up a little. I did consider silver to add more luminosity, but I think the effect would have been too cartoon like. Not the look I was after. I want to be able have a moon in the house. I think once it gets dark it will look great on my blue bedroom wall.

The quilting is a simple stipple. This was the hardest decision in the piece. I wanted to add texture and secure the pieces without really adding much design with the thread. The stipple seems to do the job. It does give the Moon a suitably rocky feel. The binding is nominally my ascent colour, it is black. I tried a few options but really it needed to blend in and not call attention to itself. Black fits the bill. Looking at the pictures I think I need to look at blocking this quilt before I put the hanging sleeve on. It was square when I put the binding on. Honest

I am still trying to find someone who could take pictures of In Full Bloom for me at the IQA Celebrate Spring show. If you do know anyone going please could you ask them for me?

4 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

Viewing this piece gives me the same feeling of wonder and awe that I have when seeing the actual moon. Wonderful!

Penny said...

That is so realistic. And very clever.

Ferret said...

yay, I wanted to have a moon indoors, and it seems to hit the spot. Thanks folks

Beverly said...

It is wonderful- I am always in awe of your work. It will be indoors, as in hanging over a bed?
I've missed three challenges in a row, I just don't seem to have any oomph lately.