Monday, February 26, 2007

Archway Update




So it may not have made it to the show, but I might as well show you guys. It will be getting more quilting and some door handle before next year, as well as some kind of finish to the edge. I haven't quite decided how to do that yet, but I will. Having a year to think about it makes it seem a lot easier. I just hope they do have the show again next year. It will also give me time to think about the title. I have a couple of ideas and I know what I want to convey, I just need to get it right. It feels almost like this quilt wasn't quite ready for the world.

This doorway is life size, OK as an old door it isn't as tall as modern doors but it is still pretty big. I struggled to find space to hang it to take the pictures, so please forgive the odd angle. The door handles are ready to go on, I wish I had put them on before taking the pictures as I can't wait to see them in place. I think they will help a surprising amount. It is that sort of detail that gives the realism. Like the hinges I am planning on attaching them using the longarm. I have done so much without a domestic machine recently it seems wrong not to. Given I have to remount the quilt to add more quilting, why not put the handles on at the same time.

I look forward to it being hung in shows, I am hoping they will be able to hang it so the bottom is very close to the floor and it will feel like you could walk through it. It would be so fun to walk round a corner and see a door, to who knows where. That is very much the point. I seem to have a talent for finding this style of door in odd places, and always somewhere where I can't find out what is behind it. It drives me nuts. They look so interesting, they must go somewhere good. I am already thinking about a door you can open, but then what can I put behind it that is as exciting as your imagination?

Of course I will also be planning other architectural quilts. I have three already I want to make but all would be very costly to ship to the USA. I need to find cheap ways of moving large objects. I wonder how long a boat does take to make the crossing

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is superb!

Ramona-quilter said...

Ferret - This came out wonderful. I love the ivy detail and the way you carried the shape of the arch up to the top corner pieces. I can't wait to see the handles. I'll check back often. I love your work.

Anonymous said...

Ferret, this is fantastic! I look forward to seeing it finished

Nellie's Needles said...

AMAZING! You and this quilt. I love the story of how you feel about doors. And, yes, it would be wonderful to come across this quilt in a show. I most likely would have the reaction that you anticipate from viewers.

Ferret said...

Yay, good to hear it works. Now I just have to find a way to finish it to my satisfaction.