Sunday, January 28, 2007

What I was working on

We were asked to bring inspiration to the class this weekend, it had to be an organic structure. The requirements suggested shells, seeds, pods and rocks. Ideally these would be objects rather than pictures but I drew a complete blank on inspiring objects, but I did find some pictures I liked. This one became my favourite after we had write about the objects.

In another setting I think this could be the source for several quilt projects. I has so much potential. I love the twist to it. I love the fact that it has five sides, curves and points. It's a really fun object. I do have to admit I don't even know what it is it is an image I found on the net and fell in love with.First thing on the second day we were asked to start drawing the objects (making marks). We were to focus on the aspects of it that fitted our words. In my case organic (by which I mean it looks like it grew), curvaceous and concealing (see I was trying to sound arty ). So I tried drawing. This is what I came up with.
Apparently this is a very poor start. The main complaint was that I had drawn the joint between the faces as smooth, not knobbly. I hope you can see in the picture I was working on that. I tried saying that, but no, I don't really look and I hadn't seen that the joint was rough and textured (I described it as scab like) so I needed to start again. Here is take two.
I tried to make the texture more obvious and quicker,. I have to get it on the paper before she gets back round to me. You may recall I have no confidence in my drawing skill, but I think this is pretty good. In fact I think both pages have many of the most important features of the object as I see it. So she comes back round to me, and again I've got it all wrong. This isn't capturing the object, I am not seeing the details, I am not looking.

She explains what I should be doing. I need to use the ink and a brush. Keep the brush fairly dry and use it to paint sets of lines in one go. OK, dry brushing I can do. The palest lines below were the first ones I did.
Oh yes this is much better, you see how this is capturing the details now? Erm , no. Not at all. This doesn't look anything like what I am looking at, but glad you like it. Next I am to do the same again but twist the brush as I draw the curve to represent the twist in the object (can't I just draw the twist?). So I tried to turn the page. NO! just put them over the top of the other ones. OK, so I did. Next lap she is even more pleased with me. Oh yes I've got it now, aren't these so good. I am really getting the details now. Pardon? I see a mess (at least with her wanting it all on one page I have only wasted one sheet of paper.). So now I have to wet one of the lines and just touch more ink to it. Shrug, I can follow simple instructions, but I still don't understand why this is essential to making fabric sculpture. Asking why doesn't help either. This exercise is making me look at the object (the one I gave up looking at when I realised that wasn't getting her what she wanted). So now I have made amazing progress I was ready to move on.

She carefully explained to me that pencils can make different marks. WOW! If you push harder it gets darker, (yes really try it if you don't believe me) and if you lighten up it makes lighter marks. Oh my isn't this thrilling. So I had to draw a wiggly line with light and dark bits in the same line (that's the tricky bit) and the apply a dilute ink wash to one side of it. In case it doesn't come across, yes this is dripping with sarcasm.
There you go, the pinnacle of my design career. Isn't is amazing. Doesn't it do a great job of capturing my object. Can you just feel the design? Yes? If so it is yours. My tutor was thrilled with this, darned if I know why. It's nice to know I can follow her instructions and make her happy but...

I meant to dump this stuff in the bin before I left, but I just bailed in too much of a hurry. Still it has been interesting to be able to show it to other people. So far I haven't found a good explanation of why this is good. I am sure it makes me very stupid but I really don't see the amazing improvement in my work through the day. I see quite the opposite. I also don't see anything that would help me in using this shape in a piece of work. It is just crazy. I am sure there is a good artistic reason to do this, but I don't get it. If someone can explain it to me please do, it would be good to understand what I should have learned.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

Well, I'm not going to be any help, haven't a clue what your tutor was getting at. But, your description of the classwork certainly gave me a good laugh!! I'm inclined to agree with Nellie, I think you should just follow your own muse wherever she takes you--
I'm taking a beginning drawing class from Adult Ed here- I'll let you know what I learn beyond the obvious you already mentioned!! It can only get better, our first assignment was a self-portrait, and mine was laughable to say the least.

Dormouse said...

Too weird, I commented at length yesterday and it's disappeared.

Ah well, the gist of it was 'course crap - leaving good.'

Ferret said...

I was hoping it would amuse. I can see the funny side now, at the time it realy wasn't.

Dormouse, looks like blogger has been doing some upgrades it may have fallen through a crack, or it may reappear. Nice to know you think I did the right thing too. I did feel really bad about quitting but with so many people agreeing with me I think it probably was the right thing to do.