Friday, January 26, 2007

On retreat

Well I made it here OK. I now have a far better understanding of why things are difficult here. The abbey is now a conference center, and only offers adult education because it was in the terms of the sale. So they don't really cater for us, they are more focused on the business customers during the week. Who can blame them, I suspect that us filling the pace doesn't bring in as much money as any one of the weekday courses. It does explain why a lot of the staff here have no idea what is going on with the courses too. They work for an entirely different company.

So, the room is small but directly opposite the studio we are being taught in. I couldn't have asked for a more convenient room. I have been given the key so I can make use of the tables to work on out of hours. This is really good news as I have a few things I want to get on with while I am here.

Our first session was about what inspires us and why. It turns out that all the objects that inspire me are very sensual. I suppose I should have seen that coming, but I didn't. Apparently it was really obvious to everyone else. It now has me wondering whether I can use these sculptural process to make body parts. Maybe a torso? I think that may be tomorrow nights project.

Yes I will post some pictures of the scarf, I was too excited to take pictures last night I wanted to get started on my scarf. I will try and do it Monday. Anyway I have things I want to work on before tomorrow, and I want a shower so I had better get a move on.

No comments: