Friday, December 08, 2006

Yay pictures




Yay at last blogger and my net connection have let me put up some pictures. I am sure that shouldn't be this exciting but after this long it really is.

First up is '...and fly away'. This is my entry for the SAQA transformations competition. Having looked at the curators work, I don't think this will be to her taste, but at least I put one in. I was going to make two other quilts but the deadline was just too tight. The other ideas were mathematical transformations and a butterfly emerging. I think both may get made in the future.

The background of the quilt is quilted with the main fold lines of the origami crane. To give the impression of it just being one sheet I didn't want to have a binding, so the quilt is birthed. I think it has given me the result I was looking for. Having made the background I added the cranes. The first one is two layers of cloth fused then stitched with the fold lines. From there each step is shown. I chose to leave the worst one each time to try and improve the quality of the finished cranes. Overall I am pretty pleased with it. All the cranes are just single sheets of fabric well pressed into shape. I have noticed from moving the quilt that it needs a little more stitching to hold the cranes in place. I start with the minimum I think might work and increase if I have to. This helps to keep the look of the cranes only just being part of the quilt. It is the same principle I used for 'Golden Storm'.

For those of you who couldn't remember what the quilts going to Road 2 CA look like, here they are.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see 3 photos. Are any of these
the quilts for Road to CA? Or
did the blogger bug bite you again?

Ferret said...

The first two pictures are the origami quilt. The other two are the ones going to the show. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gracious, I have always loved textiles and flying anything. What you have achieved with this work is amazing. I admire how the naked quilted background sets off the steps of the origamied birds in each of their formative steps. In other words, I'm so damn glad blogger finally let you through -- this piece deserves a lot of attention! Thank you so much for sharing.

Ferret said...

Thanks Sarah, I'm glad to hear it works well for you. Maybe the curator will like it after all.

Penny said...

The origami quilt is lovely - I'd love to see it in person.

The lettering on the quilt background makes me think of pre-windows computer screens.

Ferret said...

Geek :) Me too.