Sunday, October 08, 2006

Quilters Guild Regional Day - Region 7

Yesterday I went to the Region Seven regional day. Unfortunately it clashed with the Region One day, which I would otherwise have gone along to. On the other hand the weather was great and the event was held in Roade, very close to Santa Pod where the guys were playing with the Camero. I even got lucky with the traffic, and arrived just before 9am ready to set up the bring and buy stall (now just a buy stall :) The traders were all in a small room off to the side of the main hall. It was cozy and being out of the way meant I could occasionally abandon my post to fetch refreshments and mingle.

Our first speaker Dawn Cameron Dick, brought along lots of real working quilts. You know the sort you put on the bed or curl up with on the sofa when you feel ill. It was lovely to hear and artist talking about their work being used and loved. Of course, me being hopeless with remembering names I didn't realize I had one of her books until she held up the quilt that was on the cover. Doh! The talk was very funny and it felt like we were being given a great deal of insight into her family. The stories of how people had been involved with the design phase of the quilts were especially interesting to me. One of the nicest parts of these days and the talks is that you get to touch the quilts. I do love shows, but my fingers really do give me information my eyes don't. For example the great softness of these well used quilts and how well integrated the invisible machine applique becomes. Definitely a speaker worth seeing if you get a chance.

This first talk was followed by lunch and spending frenzy. Thanks to everyone who bought things from my stand, we sold about half the stock and raised a good amount for guild funds. Yes I am being vague, I don't believe what my maths told me :) To get us back into the listening frame of mind we had a show and tell. As ever there was a fantastic range of work to see. I was very lucky to be in the queue just behind the lady with several very small and details pieces. As ever my memory is failing me on her name or that of the tutor where she had learned about adding texture through shrinking. I think it is something I will have to look up. It was a fantastic effect. Naoko brought along two pieces to show, a stained glass wallhanging in European colours, with a border that looked like it was catching the light, and a landscape from a class. The landscape was striking as it moved it changed so much. I am really looking forward to seeing it finished I think it will be a very special piece. Another special quilt was 'Sixty Five Roses', if you say it out loud it sounds rather Cystic Fibrosis, which is what the quilt is about. The top is 64 roses in shades of red pink and cream, the final rose will be on the back of the quilt and be made from white fabrics in different textures to represent the faulty gene which causes the problem. The quilt was made using Pat Deacons techniques which is why the maker had brought it along. I hope she will being it back finished.

Just before starting her talk Pat Deacon was called upon to draw the raffle and choose the recipient of the Margaret Bright Bursary. I couldn't believe it when my name came up. I didn't know what to do. Was I supposed to go and say something? I settled for standing up then sitting down again. It was a nice shock, but still a shock. I was very late applying as I felt it should go to someone Margaret had known. I guess now I really have to do her justice with it. It is 50GBP to be used for a course. We then have to bring the finished item along to the next regional day. I've been looking online today for a course worthy of this money, and I think I will go for something at Missenden Abbey. These are courses I would never consider without the bursary and I think they will really expand my knowledge. I will let everyone know which course I finally choose.

..... Sorry folks the review of Pat's talk will have to be added later visitors have just arrived.

Yes, our afternoon speaker was Pat Deacon, hers was the championship quilt at Sandown this year. Having taken a class with her I was looking forward to the talk, and I wasn't disappointed. She had brought along many of her quilts and talked a lot about how they came to be. I was especially interested in the 'View from the quilt' mini series. It is two quilts showing what a quilt sees when it is at a show. I loved her use of colour to show whether people likes the quilt or not, and having seen how simple a shape will still read as a human figure I think it is something I might try at some point.

The strangest part of the day was being invited to join the committee. Yup the guild is prepared to have someone like me helping to run it. I am very surprised, but thrilled. Now I suppose I have to work harder at getting more people to some to the regional days. So if this sounded like fun (and it really was) and you fancy coming along to see if you like it let me know and I will keep you posted about future events. The events are open to non members but it will cost you a little more to get in (I think it is two quid extra so twelve instead of ten). If you live locally I might even be able to give you a lift.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on the bursary . Well i have been looking at hoops & frames there not cheap however there is a self build one has an one tried it .It the one on cotton patches website let me know what you think


cheers

Lindy replys to mcchesney-tilley@zen.co.uk

Penny said...

Congratulations! You must be really chuffed.

Ferret said...

I am I am really looking forward to learning something new.

Dormouse said...

Awesome news, that is wonderful!!!

Congrats on the committee too. Changing them from the inside eh???

Ferret said...

That is the plan. If nothing else a younger person on the committee might convince younger people to join? Or am I just too optimistic.

Dormouse said...

No, I don't think you are too optimistic. The only memeber of the Quilting Guild I've ever met were in their 70's and so I've never even thought about joining.

Ferret said...

Well if you fancy giving me a hand with making them young and funky (at least in part) let me know.I can use all the help I can get.

Dormouse said...

Is it possible to be young and funky at 41?

I suppose at least younger and funkier than 74. :)

Ferret said...

You can be young and funky at 74, if you want to. I think it is very much a state of mind.