Friday, August 25, 2006

Too busy for a quiet day

It was a fine plan, sleep late and do nothing much. The world had other ideas. I've made good progress with my entry for the Hever show. I should have started it before I went to the NEC but somehow it never quite happened. So now I need to make a quilt from scratch in less than a week. Whups. On the other hand I have done all the design and planning for it so it is just the making I need to worry about. The theme is autumn glory, and I am making a wave of leaves. It will be called 'Golden Storm'. I plan to make it very backwards. I will start by quilting the quilt, then bind it. I am going to use a very wide piped binding, so it will have the look of a border and no binding. Finally I will add the leaves. I want to hold them down with the minimum stitching so they still move and are more three dimensional. I think I will need about 100 leaves. The quilt will be 1m square and I am making the leaves life size. I think I have cut about 60 leaves today, but they still need their details stitching onto them.

3 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

Wonderful idea! Can't wait to see it, although I know photos won't do this one justice. SIGH ... photos just can't portray the depth of richness/texture or movement of fibers and fabrics.

Ferret said...

Thanks, you are probably right about the photo, it really won't get this quilt. I will still try though.

Shirley Goodwin said...

I can't wait to see how the new quilt will look, Ferret. And thanks for dropping by my blog! We're on 2 webrings so we're bound to have readers in common (I run the Dyers' Webring).