Sunday, August 20, 2006

Home again, home again.

I'm pooped, and the cats are happy. I've made it home with all my quilts, luggage and purchases. Although I have definitely bought less than in the past. Maybe I am learning restraint. I did pick up some interesting things though. I finally have the equipment to do screen printing. This is something I have loved in the past and have been desperate to do onto fabric. I found someone selling everything I needed to get started and I couldn't resist, watch this space. When looking for discharge past I found metal paints. Not metallic, metal. It claims that the iron one will rust, this sounds really exciting and I am looking forward to playing. It is also very heavy, it really feels the right weight for metal.

I've taken less pictures than in the past too. I found less quilts that really grabbed me this year. I don't know if that is a reflection on the entries or on me. I suspect the latter though. I am looking at thing differently now and thinking of very different projects. Last year I wouldn't have come up with half the ideas I have this time. One of the stars of the show for me was a monochromatic dancer. It was made by a Russian artist Marina Mamonova, sadly the only information in the quilt list is it's title, 'The Lacework of Dreams'. A very simple, yet to me very beautiful quilt. The other star was a slate quilt. Yes as in the rock, yes it was stitched. OK it did only have two layers, but they were sown together, and I loved them. This may be something I will have to have a go at in the future.

The symposium was interesting, though not surprising. It might have been more so, had I not joined the quiltart list where a lot of the same issues have been being discussed recently. Simply put if quilters want to be seen as artists they need to be prepared to be judges exactly the same as any other artist, and the work must be able to hold it's own in that arena. We must learn to be more critical of what we make, and gain an understanding of what is going on in the larger art world, in the past, the present and the future. It was also very interesting to hear from galleries and museums. They do like to show or sell quilts but they are harder to sell than other art forms. Apparently pieces that are framed tend to do better as people worry about keeping quilts clean. They don't mind a sculpture getting dusty, or a painting that isn't behind glass but they worry about textiles. I wonder if this is because we are so used to cleaning our clothes and soft furnishings that they see it as something all fabrics must need.

Nikki Tinkler has a new body of work, inspired by the Guggenheim. I found it very interesting and quite different to her other work. Having seen her quilts I would love to go and see the building in person. It is full of wonderful shapes and catches the light fantastically.

Over the weekend I have met so many people. I know I can't remember them all but I would hate for anyone to feel I had forgotten them through any fault of theirs. I have a stunningly bad memory for people. Any of you reading this, it was great to meet you and I hope you get in touch. Especially all of those who spoke to me about this blog. It is nice to put some faces to the people I am talking to, for however short a time I remember them. I hope everyone got something out of the weekend, and I look forward to seeing you all again next year.

As you may have guessed by this point the quilts at this show were handled very well. The quilt angels were great, as were the people hanging the quilts, taking down the quilts and judging. At the end of the show I was a little concerned to see the way the quilts arrived at the collection point, in huge boxes on pallets. However they had been packed very carefully into those boxes and were absolutely fine. They had been folded with the right side out and with the first folds horizontal. They all have their judging sheets with them as well when you get them back, no waiting or having to send off for them. If I was to be really picky (and I do mean really picky) there were a few things that could have been done better.
  1. I would have like to have had a table to repack my quilts on. Crawling on the floor was hard for me after being on my feet all day every day for 5 days, I hate to think how some of the others might have felt about it.
  2. It would have been nice if the venue could have let as stay on the chairs and tables until all the quilts had been collected.
  3. It would be nice if the collection point had been closer to the exit.
I believe it was intended to have packing tables, but they didn't arrive, I suspect this will be resolved next year. I also understand that the organizers expected us to be able to stay at the tables and chairs until the quilts were returned as they mentioned being able to get a coffee and sit down to wait, and finally I think that the reason it was so far from the entrance was so that we could have a sit and a coffee. So like I said, you've got to be really picky to find any faults with this process. This is a show I will be entering again next year. I hope it will go from strength to strength. This year there were over 1500 quilts in the competitions, lets see how many we can take that up to next time

No comments: