Saturday, August 12, 2006

Happy feet - and hands

I've been finding that doing a lot of quilting on my longarm means I have very painful legs for a couple of days afterwards. Today I bought some anti-fatigue mats. They seem to do the trick. I've only done a few hours this evening but my legs and feet feel very different. For eight quid I think they are a great investment. Of course the real proof won't come until tomorrow, but I think it will be fine. On the other hand concentrating too hard on making small repetitive movements is hard the shoulders, so I took a break to show you what I am working on.

I've been trying to work out how I can 'sculpt' images. I want to make nudes in 3D somehow. I've been playing with some faux trapunto, and stuffed applique but neither has given me the look I want. To try out this technique I wanted a simple distinctive image. The x-ray is perfect, for what I want. The flesh of the hand is faux trapunto, and the bones traditional trapunto. It has given a lot of depth to the image. To give even more definition to the hand I am using very dense quilting. It also allows me to 'paint' the background blue. After completing the trapunto I decided I wanted it to look more like an x-ray, and to me x-rays are blue.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Nicely done! I especially like how the bones look.