Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Back in the Saddle

Today was my first proper day of work since the exhibition, and it felt good. I've got all the leaves sewn now, and most are pinned to the quilt. The quilt has borders/binding as well. I think of it as the borders but is really a very wide binding. I don't think the technique actually scaled too well. The binding fabric tries very hard to distort as you sew down the second side. Still it looks OK and for a quilt put together in something of a hurry I am pleased with it.

I've also started on my art education. At the NEC I took a class with Michael James and he talked about a lot of artists we 'should' know about. I don't, yet. I've been bidding on cheap art books on eBay and the first one arrives today. It is all about Victor Vasarely. I can see why I should know about him. I am really enjoying reading about how his art started and then evolved. I also love some of the designs he came up with. I didn't realize how much I could learn from how someone else developed their style, but now I do you can be assured I will be reading more on this subject. I still haven't dug out the notes to check the details of the things I am supposed to look up, but I think if I work from what I remember and then follow the leads those give me I will do pretty well. I already have a lost of half a dozen other artists I want to find out about.

No comments: