Thursday, August 10, 2006

Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative



I've finally finished my first quilt for Ami Simm's auction. I've had it underway for a couple of months but somehow it just wasn't getting finished. Strangely it was the same problem I was having with the purple bubble quilt. I couldn't see a binding on it. This one I solved with the other technique that had been discussed on the quiltart list. I used a satin stitch. It has the right feel for this quilt but I can't see me using it again. This quilt is called 'Unraveling'. I was given a stack of bobbins which still had some thread on and I needed to empty them. Given I didn't know the composition of the thread I wasn't keen on using them for quilting. So I started just winding the thread off onto my desk. It felt wrong, the thread didn't want to just be thrown away, but what was it good for. You know how mindless tasks are, you start thinking about all sorts of things. Suddenly I had it the thread was so like people were describing Alzheimer's. It had so much more left to give but somehow couldn't quite get everything together, like the minds of sufferers it was unraveling. Hopefully it will go on to have a productive and appreciated life. I will post details of the auction when it is up. The next auction starts the 1st September, there have been some great quilts and all sales raise money for research. The auction can be found at Ami Simms web site.

No comments: