Friday, July 28, 2006

Tulips

Here is the picture of the binding on Gems 1. It took longer than we expected but I think it worked really well. The fine white piping really makes the colours leap out. Still that is the quilt done. It just needs the label and sleeve doing, which is hand sewing we can do during the game on Sunday. So I won't worry about that until then. It would be nice to get Gems 2 to the same state by then as we could probably finish all the hand sewing on both of them. I don't know if it is possible, but it is a goal to work to.

These tulips are based on a Ricky Tims technique. They are from his caveman quilting DVD. I love this technique and have made several projects using it.

What really pleased me about this was the quilting. It was the first time I tried this pattern but I think it does exactly what I was looking for. I wanted the colour from the background of the flowers to spread out into the borders and be a bit softer. I feel that I have achieved that. The border itself is quilted in black which also just flows in to the other colours. It is a shame that the pictures don't capture how well the dancing cubes leap out of the border. You will just have to take my word for it. I had been going to enter this quilt in the Edinburgh show, but as I am not doing those shows anymore it hasn't been finished. I do love it so as soon as I have some time it will be finished. It will stay with a wavy edge, and I think I will try and figure out a way to put a piped binding on it.

Hint 2, when making a quilt with a lot of bulky 'embellishment' it is a lot easier to trim the base before stitching everything on to it :) Guess who just trimmed up the back of the PCB. It was an interesting experience but it would have been easier if I had done it sooner.

PS. Why are all your errors twice as big and twice as obvious just after you post them on a web site?

No comments: