Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sandown



You know some days just don't read the script let alone follow it. The short story is I will be withdrawing my quilts from Harrogate. On the bright side it means I have some 'spare' quilts I can try putting into US shows. The reason is I am not prepared to let the company running the show anywhere near any more of my quilts until they review how they handle them.

I've been trying to work out how to make a quilt that would be likely to come back from the show in the same condition it went. We think that an absolutely rigid quilt (think thick sheet metal of perspex) that is smaller than the brown bags they want to store them in, where you can both deliver and collect might make it. I've been unhappy for a while that they post your quilts back to you in a brown paper bag. OK it is a thick bag but I don't think they are going to be waterproof. It rains here and our post office isn't perfect about keeping packages dry. I tried sending the quilts in waterproof bags but the organisers can't keep any packing so that didn't work. I have been thinking about only posting washable quilts, but I love making the art quilts and they aren't going to stand up well to washing. Maybe the only option is to travel to every show.

I didn't want Miss Baltimore folded, once folded I can't get the creases out. So I made her a roll to be put on. It is padded and has her name and mine on it. No problem they just have to put it back on the roll, all should be fine. I watched the quilts coming back, having a roll just means your quilt has to be crushed more to fit it in the bag with the roll. I tried to watch and ask for it to be rolled but was told i had to move and they would fold it. It doesn't matter and it isn't for long. Nice to know it doesn't matter to them. I rather hoped I would get it back in the same state I handed it over. That wasn't going to happen it looked like it had partly unrolled while waiting in a stack of quilts to be hung so had got crushed anyway. I lost it at this point and they decided they could roll it for me.

Loki a 15"x20" quilt came back folded in 4 then shoved into a bag folding it into 8, then a quilt was put on top of it. I did rescue him quickly and I am hoping he will recover. If not I guess I can make him again. Oh and the certificate for winning the longarm award was screwed up in the bottom of Miss Baltimores bag. Maybe I can iron it, although I am not sure I want to. Do I really want to remember this complete shambles?

I will be writing to the organisers tomorrow, outlining my concerns and withdrawing my quilts. I've got a few ideas to offer to improve the situation.
  • Less haste more speed, stop running around so much and take some care over taking the quilts down.
  • Ask for people to help with taking the quilts down.
  • Train the people packing the quilts how to do it with the least damage to the quilt
  • Let the quilter take down and pack their own quilts
  • Put a waterproof covering around the quilt being posted
  • Consider using storage devices other than the standard bag. Not all quilts will fit it without damage and those that don't fit get dirty because they are not allowed any other covering.

If anyone knows of guidelines for handling quilts or has tips on how to manage quilts at show I would be very pleased to hear about it. There were a lot less quilts at this show than last year and I can't help thinking that poor care of quilts can't help. I wasn't the only upset quilter, just the most vocal and the most prepared to step in to protect my work. I know some quilt can take any amount of folding crushing and general abuse, Ginko Typography is more likely to hurt the person moving it than the other way around, some can't. Fused trapunto creases very badly and doesn't recover.

I also retrieved 'Delta Blues' which is very grubby :( At least it is washable :) Sadly 'Chrysler' is still with them, and I feel very bad about it. I wish I could have rescued it too.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel very sad for you about this happening to your quilts - I think basically that quilt shows have moved on into the 'money making' ethos of so many things nowadays - insufficient staff, paid a pittance and improperly trained all adds up to less care being taken - sadly you see it in all fields and lines of business - hope your quilts recover - if they're not prepared to take care with delicate quilts they shouldn't ask for and accept them into shows - but we will all be the poorer for it

Ferret said...

I think you are right but believe me I am going to try and persuade them to change. I have a few people willing to help, so keep everything crossed for us.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ferret, very sad to read that your quilts suffered in this way during Sandown take-down. I still have an unidentified black splodge on the back of a heavily trapunto'd quilt that went to Malvern five years ago (same organiser). I noticed a nasty black mark on the back of Sally Bramald's lovely machine quilted winning piece - and knowing Sally I think it is 100% unlikely that she entered a quilt with that sort of mark on the back. I did think that I ought to submit a quilt next year to support the show because it has suffered so much since FoQ started. Thanks for reminding me one of the reasons why I stopped entering my quilts.
Jayne

Ferret said...

Hi Jayne. Please consider writing to the organizers and telling them about your experience. I do think that if enough people tell them they might listen, they don't want the show to die, they need it to make money. As I see it it is in their interest to get this matter resolved. Also if you know Sally could you pass on this request to her as well? I haven't had a reply to my letter yet but I will post here when I do. If you want to contact me directly my email is ferret at ferfab.co.uk. Remove the spaces and change the word at to the symbol. Thanks