Sunday, July 16, 2006

Is that an island?



Asked Robin as I pick a tiny oddly shaped piece of animal print from his quilt. Long pause, "no I don't think so". I think it was just an offcut, but if anyone spots something missing I will blame his quilt for stealing my islands. I've been wondering how small most quilter go with fusible applique. I drew the line at islands less than 2mm square. It was when the tweezer tips were too big to handle the fabric and I started wondering if you could get smaller ones, that I thought things might be getting a but silly.

here are a couple of slightly out of focus pictures of the world. Hopefully the countries can still be identified, but the animal print does stand out well. Doing something like this really brings home the relative sizes of different countries, and how remote some islands are. If it wasn't so tricky and frustrating cutting some of the coastlines I would say this would make a great educational project for children. I feel a lot more in touch with the geography of my home planet now. Of course being an astrophysicist I am now thinking about doing the other planets :)

1 comment:

Penny said...

That is really cool!

It makes me think of Gondwana before all the continents drifted.